Saturday, July 11, 2009

changing expectations - the saga continues

So, on the seventh day, internet service was restored.

Since then, I've learned that I have to alter my expectations of service. During the years of Verizon wireless DSL, I was free to roam throughout my house (that's 3 rooms, people) with only my laptop in hand, able to be on the internet regardless of what room I was in.

Those halcyon days are over. In the FairPoint zone, wireless internet means "connected to a wireless modem by a wire." It means hovering, nearly atop the modem, in order to stay connected. And today, it means being disconnected from the internet 3 times in less than an hour, despite being perched less than 3 feet away from the modem.

I've read that FairPoint will declare bankruptcy by the end of the year. I can't imagine it will take that long.

1 comment:

ALL said...

If you're the only "service" provider around, no one can hold your feet to the flames when you give shoddy "service." You can give shoddy "service" and get away with it.