Friday, December 01, 2017

In Today's Mail

I've corrected my recent piece about those who didn't sign off on the House Sexual Harassment policy. State Representative Brian Stone was annoyed that I had said he'd suspended his campaign because he was in jail for violating a restraining order. I was wrong. He was arrested for violating a restraining order, but the charges against him were dropped. He says he didn't suspend his campaign because of the arrest, or any other reason. I take him at his word.  

Let's summarize - Brian Stone was arrested for violating a restraining order. The charges were dropped. Brian Stone did not sign off on the House Sexual Harassment policy. Those are the facts. 

I apologize for my errors. Mea culpa.  

This could have gone a lot more easily if Brian Stone had sent me a note asking,  instead of issuing threats. 


Representative Stone has expressed annoyance because he feels I've insinuated that he's part of a sexual harassment culture. I'd suggest if he wants to be free of that stain, he should leave the Republican Party. 


CEASE AND DESIST
December 1, 2017
Rep. Brian J. Stone
860 1st NH Turnpike
Northwood, NH 03261
Dear Susan Bruce:
You are hereby directed to
CEASE AND DESIST ALL LIBEL & DEFAMATION OF
MY CHARACTER AND REPUTATION.
Im an educated, respected professional in the community. I have spent years serving the community in public service and building a positive reputation. I have learned that you have engaged in spreading false, destructive, and defamatory rumors about me.
Under New Hampshire law, it is unlawful to engage in libel of another’s character and reputation. libel consists of
(1) a written statement that tends to injure reputation;
(2) communicated to another; and
(3) that the writer and/or publisher knew or should have known was false.
Your libelous statements involved publishing of an article where you state that I had suspended an election campaign because I was in jail for violating a restraining order (i.e. https://www.conwaydailysun.com/opinion/columns/susan-bruce-harassment-in-the-house/article_adb5b94a-d633-11e7-89f7-8b8bb8f316ac.html https://susanthebruce.blogspot.com/2017/11/harassment-in-house.html https://susanthebruce.blogspot.com/2017/05/no-honor-among-sleaze.html . This is not true. I have never served a jail sentence. I have never been convicted of any crime, no do I have any criminal charges pending against me. I have never suspended my campaign, let alone for that reason.
Accordingly, I demand that you (A) immediately cease and desist your unlawful defamation of me, (B) remove the said article, or in the alternative, any reference to me in the article, and (C) provide me with prompt written assurance within ten (10) days that you will cease and desist from further libel of my character and reputation.
If you do not comply with this cease and desist demand within this time period, I am entitled to seek monetary damages and equitable relief for your libel. In the event you fail to meet this demand, please be advised that I will pursue all available legal remedies, including seeking monetary damages, criminal prosecution, injunctive relief, and an order that you pay court costs and attorney’s fees. Your liability and exposure under such legal action could be considerable.
Before taking these steps, however, I wished to give you one opportunity to discontinue your illegal conduct by complying with this demand within ten (10) days.

Sincerely,
Rep. Brian J. Stone


No comments: